Everyone loves a free mommy-and-me activity since (let's be honest) you just never know how it will go over and want to be able to try a new thing risk-free or be able to scoot out at a moments notice without having wasted your $! Here are our favorite local free mommy & me activities...
1. The library! Story times abound at our local libraries here in Wake County but be sure to check the schedule online before you go. Some popular ones require a ticket (first come, first served) and they take breaks for a few weeks throughout the year. Our favorites are at North Regional and Cameron Village Libraries!
2. The Parks! Our local parks systems provide a plentiful and diverse selection of free places to explore. We have destination parks (like Pullen Park) and parks with walking trails (like Shelley Lake Park) and pocket parks (that means they're small and have no bathrooms or off-street parking- like Roanoke Park). We even have a gorgeous public Rose Garden that is an ideal spot (May-Sept) for picnics, photos and running around among lovely blooms.
3. The Museum of Natural Sciences: What a local treasure in downtown Raleigh! We recommend checking their website for story times and to make sure the Discovery room will be open while you're there. There's so much to do and see in this museum!
4. Greystone Community Center's Indoor Playground: Free indoor playground? Yes, please!
5. Prairie Ridge Ecostation: An extension of the Museum of Natural Sciences, this is a great place to run and play in the great outdoors. Check out the story time schedule on their website.
6. Big Box Pet Supply Stores: Yup, you read that right. Petco, Petsmart and the like are great places to take little ones to see the small animals for sale and adoption. Bonus- you can restock your dog food while you're there.
7. Storytime at Quail Ridge Books: Check their website for the most up to date schedule and enjoy this locally-owned book store.
8. The Airport Observation Park at RDU: It doesn't matter how old you are- watching planes take off and land is exciting! In between flights your kids can run, dig and climb on the mini runway and sandbox/climbing structure. You can even head inside to the General Aviation Terminal to watch the small private planes.
9. Stroller Strides & Stroller Barre First Class Free: Yes, this is a shameless plug for our classes.... it is our blog, after all! Your first class is always free... come on out and we'll show you how to get your workout in while having fun with your little one!
10. Our Village Midtown Raleigh Meetup Group... another shameless plug for our FREE community playgroup. We offer lots of activities for moms and kids ages 6 weeks up to kindergarten, a monthly Moms Night Out and quarterly service projects. It's free to join and lots of fun- come check it out!
Special thanks to our mommies who contributed their favorite activities on our Facebook page!