It's June! Wow, summer already! We're in the second half of the year. It is now entirely acceptable to use Santa as a threat. June also means we at FIT4MOM Midtown Raleigh have started our summer schedule. This mostly means we move 10:00 a.m. Stroller Strides and Stroller Barre classes up to 9:30 a.m.
That is of course because of the heat. Warm weather and humidity are part of life in the summer, especially in central North Carolina, but we really try to make sure you still get great workouts in the summer months.
Here are tips and tricks from our Instructor Team to keep you cool:
- "Put the kids in their bathing suits before coming to class at the North Carolina Museum of Art. Let them run in the little fountains after class. They'll love it! I bring beach towels and a change of clothes for the car. They play so hard they'll fall asleep on the way home, usually. Don't forget Crocs or other water shoes because the water is over gravel."
- "Clip fan for stroller."
- "1/2 gallon jug of water that I put in the freezer an hour before class."
- "I am trying out one of those cooling scarves that you wet and put around your neck."
- "Work out in the morning!" (Easy with the summer schedule, right?!)
- "Big Klean Kanteen or other double-wall-insulated-steel bottle."
- "Wrap a towel around a soft gel ice pack and put it in the back of the stroller. It keeps the baby cool and then you can use it to lie on for cool down."
- "Freeze applesauce squeeze packs and halfway through class it will be like a slushy for your child to eat."
- "Come to 5:30am Body Back outside classes because it isn't hot yet then!!!"
- "Frozen yogurt tubes & applesauce pouches and hydrating snacks like watermelon for kids."
- "Double water bottles! One for class and one for the ride home."
- "Non-cotton wicking workout clothes for mom, including socks!"
- "Shade-seeking. Exercising in the fringe hours of the day." (If we're in a sunny location we try really hard to keep a lot of stations in the shade!)
- "Shade extenders for strollers and car seats with inadequate shade covers."
- "Throw a towel over car seats so buckles aren't too hot when it's time to drive home after class."
- "Pre-hydrate before class. Add drinking a glass of water to your morning routine while you wait for your coffee to brew." (I like to really hydrate the night before if I know it's going to be a really hot class.)
- "Sunscreen, sunglasses and hats." (Hmm. I sense a theme. Also, visors.)
- " I always like to remind moms at class that the children aren't working out, so they aren't as hot as mom is feeling."
- " Apparently they make cooling mats for strollers. I haven't tried them, but we have a mama who ordered one!"
There you go, ladies. Good tips! I keep sunscreen and bug spray in my purse in the summer. In our efforts to stay in the shade, sometimes we get in to some woods that may have bugs. We also do lots of water balloon and splash playgroups after class. We love working out in the summer and I know it's going to be a good one!
Happy June! Excuse me, I'm off to tell my kids if they don't pick up their toys, Santa won't come in six months.